Physician Assistant Dual Acceptance Program
The University of Saint Francis offers dual admission to the undergraduate Biology and Physician Assistant Studies programs. If you are admitted into the Physician Assistant Dual Acceptance program, you will earn a Bachelor of Science in Biology with a concentration in Physician Assistant Studies, prior to transitioning into the master’s degree program.
The USF Physician Assistant Dual Acceptance program is limited to five seats each year. Up to an additional two seats can be reserved for dual accept candidates from an articulating university.
To be dually admitted to the Physician Assistant Studies program, you must:
- Have a high school GPA of 3.5 or higher on a 4.0 scale, or the equivalent.
- Earn an ACT composite score of 26 or higher.
- Submit a one- to two-page paper about your experience shadowing a physician assistant for a total of 10 hours.
- Submit a one- to two-page paper about your medical interest in voluntary work, organization activity or training.
- Submit one reference from a certified physician assistant (PA-C).
- Submit one reference from a physician.
- Complete an interview with and be approved by the Physician Assistant Studies Admissions Committee.
- Apply and be accepted to both USF and the Physician Assistant Studies program.
To begin your application, contact the Office of Admissions. Admissions counselors will direct your application to the Department of Physician Assistant Studies for further review.
Once you have enrolled at USF, you will be assigned an academic adviser who will help you declare a biology major with a concentration in Physician Assistant Studies. Upon completion of your undergraduate program, you will proceed directly into the master’s degree curriculum of the Physician Assistant Studies program without having to complete an additional USF application.
In order to transition into the master’s degree curriculum of the Physician Assistant Studies program, you must:
- Complete 1,000 hours of approved patient care experience.*
- Complete all bachelor’s degree requirements.
- Earn a grade of “C” or better in all courses beyond high school.
- Maintain an undergraduate GPA of 3.5 or higher.
- Not incur disciplinary action by the USF Office of Student Life.
- Comply with all enrollment requirements of the professional phase of the program.
- Complete an application using the Central Application Service for Physician Assistants (CASPA) prior to the December 1 deadline during the fall semester of your senior year.
- Submit a nonrefundable tuition deposit by March 1 prior to enrolling in the master’s degree portion of the program.
*Please note that paid patient care experience involving direct patient contact, such as experience as a Certified Nursing Assistant, is required to meet this standard. If you have questions regarding approval of patient care experience, please contact the Department of Physician Assistant Studies.
If you do not meet the outlined progression standards, you will forfeit your reserved seat in the master’s degree curriculum of the program. However, you will still be able to apply to the Physician Assistant Studies program through the regular admissions process.